14 mistakes you are likely to make when doing cold outreach
As a company in the business to business market, one of the best ways to grow your customer base is by doing cold outreach. However, there are a lot of mistakes that are you may make when doing outreach that can really hurt the end result, so in this post, I want to share with you a list of mistakes that we have identified either through our customers making them or by being on the receiving end of them.
Before we start with addressing each mistake in detail, here’s a list of them divided into five topical sections:
Mistakes related to data
1. overlooking the process of segmentation
2. aggregating poor quality prospects’ data
Mistakes related to the sending process
3. not sending emails through your personal account
4. not sending the email to the recipient’s corporate email address
5. sending too many messages per day
Mistakes related to the content
6. writing spammy or clickbait subject lines
7. writing generic message copy
8. writing self-focused messages to prospects
9. adding too many CTAs in messages
10. not using CTAs in cold messages
Mistakes related to the structure
11. not setting up follow up messages
12. using only one channel to reach the prospect
Mistakes related to operations
13. doing the outreach process manually
14. not tracking campaigns performance
In this post, my goal is to explain what these mistakes are, what kind of damage they can cause and how to address them or prevent them from happening (again).
Let’s look at the number one mistake made in cold outreach.